“How shall I rid myself of fear?” asked one of the disciples.

“How can you rid yourself of what you cling to?”

“You mean I actually cling to my fears? I cannot agree to that,” protested the disciple.

“Consider what your fear protects you from and you will agree! And you will see your folly,” answered the Master.
 
 ------------------------------------
 
“Make a clean break with your past and you will be Enlightened,” said the Master.

“I am doing that by degrees.”

“Growth is achieved by degrees. Enlightenment is instantaneous.”

Later the Master said, “Take the leap! You cannot cross a chasm in little jumps.”  
 
 ------------------------------------
 
A visitor who was full of expectations was unimpressed by the commonplace words the Master addressed to him. “I came here in quest of a Master,” he said to a disciple. “All I find is a human being no different from the others.”

Said the disciple, “The Master is a shoemaker with an infinite supply of leather. But he does the cutting and stitching in accordance with the dimension of your foot.”

— Anthony de Mello

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top