I once said, “All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all of my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me. You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.”

I haven’t been to college before or… ever, but I did have a passion for drawing and animation. I come from a poor family that wasn’t able to support me. I got free haircuts from the barber when I drew new hairstyles for him. I rode the trains and sold drinks and snacks. 

I took Fine Arts classes at night. When I was sixteen, I dropped out and tried to join the army, but wasn’t old enough. Instead of going back to school, I became a Red Cross Ambulance Driver. In my spare time, which was about… always, I would draw on my ambulance.

I was ready to get into the animation industry, not the Jell-O Company that my dad wanted me to get into. I got a job at the Kansas Slide Show Company and that was when I originally got into animation. I would be drawing picture after picture, millions if necessary, just to have somebody take a step.

Think about what I said before. If I were to have succeeded in the first thing I’ve ever done, then I may not have tried harder. I may not have made Mickey or have Walt Disney Pictures. The “kick in the teeth” has helped throughout my life and I am thankful for it. Never give up. Perseverance and hard work is the key to success. After all, all of your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them.
                                                                      — Excerpts from Walt Disney’s Commencement Speech

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top